Theme 1 Growing up 我長大了
Scene 1 成長
You’re a big boy now.
你已經長大了。
Conversation 外國家庭這樣說
Boy: Mom, this shirt is very cute.
Mom: Haha, this is the shirt you wore when you were a baby.
Boy : Oh, it was my shirt?
Mom: Yes!
Boy: Why can’t I recall any of this?
Mom: You were just a baby. You were much too young to remember. You’re a big boy now.
「You’re a big boy / girl now.」是美國家長不時用上的一句話,能讓兒童在成長過程中獲得自信和勇氣。例如當孩子長大了還在吮手指時,可以說:Come on, You’re a big boy now.孩子還那麼膽小?你可以說:You’re a big boy now, you should be brave.(要勇敢啊!)要孩子幫忙做些事情,可以說:You’re a big boy now. Can you help Mom?(可以幫幫媽媽嗎?)
Useful Expressions 活學活用
情境一:孩子長高了
1. Let’s see how tall you are.
來看看你有多高。
2. Wow! You’ve grown quite a bit!
哇!你已經長了好多喔!
3. I want to be taller.
我想再高一點。
4. I wish I could be taller.
我希望我再高一點就好了。
*I wish I could屬於虛擬語氣,說話者但願某事已發生,可是卻事與願違。
情境二:成長的疑惑
5. Mom, am I growing normally?
媽,我長得正常嗎?
6. Why am I not as tall as my friend?
為什麼我沒有我的朋友那樣高?
7. Kids come in a wide range of shapes and sizes. And they don’t grow at a steady rate, either.
小孩子的高矮肥瘦都不一樣,成長的速度也不是一模一樣呀。
8. Some people grow late. Some people grow early.
有些人長得比較慢,有些人長得快一些。
情境三:給予正面的回應
9. Your height is just average for your age.
以你的年齡來說,你的身高是正常的。
10. You’ll grow more if you eat well.
如果你好好吃飯的話,你會長得更快。
11. You need to drink milk to grow taller.
你要多喝牛奶,才能長得更高。
Theme 2 Daily Routines 日常作息
Scene 9 起牀
Rise and shine!
醒醒吧,起牀啦!
Conversation 外國家庭這樣說
Mom: Rise and shine! Time to get up, sweetie. Did you sleep well?
Girl: Yawwwohn!
Mom: The clock says seven.
Girl: I don’t want to get up.
Mom: I know it’s rough getting out of bed, especially on a cold morning. How about a warm cup of milk?
Girl: I’d rather crawl back in bed for five more minutes.
* crawl back in bed=賴牀
在美國,很多家長會用Rise and shine! 這句話來來催促孩子趕快起牀。Rise and shine! 的表面意思是指太陽升起、陽光在照射,中文可以說成:「太陽曬到屁股啦!」或「醒醒吧,起牀啦!」
Useful Expressions 活學活用
情境一:催促孩子起牀
1. It’s almost time to get up.
是時候起牀了。
2. Are you awake?
你醒了嗎?
3. Wake up, sleepy head.
起牀了,貪睡鬼。
4. Are you up yet?
你起牀了嗎?
情境二:還是不想起牀的話
5. I’m still sleepy. Can I sleep more?
我還是很睏,我可以多睡一會兒嗎?
6. I’m so tired that I can’t get up.
我太累了,起不了牀。
情境三:已經醒過來的話
7. I’m already up.
我已經醒了。
8. You don’t need to wake me up.
你不用叫我了。
情境四:勸告懶惰的孩子
9. You should go to bed early to get up early.
你要早睡早起。
*我們在早上,一般只說句「早晨」。但美國人起牀後,通常會問候家人睡得好不好(Sleep well?),然後互相祝福對方有美好的一天(Have a nice day!)。